3 Signs of Burnout
Our team of Williamstown Osteopaths and Physiotherapists recently attended a community get together at All For One with well being coach and Psychologist Electra Tomasino. We focused on how to recognise the signs of Burnout + Business and steps you can take to achieve work like balance.
The World Health Organisation recently included burnout in its International classification of diseases, claiming it results from chronic workplace stress that has not been successfully managed. It characterised the symptoms as follows:
- Feelings of energy depletion or exhaustion.
- Increased mental distance or feelings of cynicism related to ones job
- Reduced professional efficacy
‘Individuals that identify so strongly with work that they lack balance between their work and personal life or work in a helping profession, are most at risk.‘
6 Drivers of Workplace Stress
- Workload: A manageable workload provides an opportunity to do what you enjoy, to pursue career objectives and to develop professionally. Going beyond human limits creates a crisis in workload.
- Control: The opportunity to make choices and decisions, to solve problems and to fulfil job responsibilities. A good match has balance between control and accountability.
- Reward: financial and social recognition for contributions on the job. A meaningful reward system acknowledges your contributions to work and provide clear indication of what the organisation values and strives for.
- Community: people thrive in communities characterised by support, collaboration and positive feelings.
- Fairness: The extent to which the organisation has consistent and equitable rules for everyone and resources are allocated accordingly
- Values: are what is important to you and to the organisation. When personal and organisational values are congruent, success are shared.
How to decrease/avoid burnout
A recent SMH article reported that Australian’s are now so addicted to being busy, we have as a nation been diagnosed with rest resistant.
Not enough rest and time out leads to our productivity, accuracy and creativity declining and out reactivity, stress and anxiety rising. It means we no longer have empty space in which to self reflect and as a result we loose connections with our sense of meaning and purpose.
A few things to think about:
- When was the last time you took a pause?: no distractions from tech or people, not racing around doing tasks, exercising or sleeping.
- How do you feel after a rest?: physically, mentally and emotionally what comes to mind.
- Where and when do you do your best day dreaming, pondering, allowing your mind to wonder?
- Is there something preventing you from slowing down or stopping for a rest?
*Taken from burnout + business, Electra Tomasino.
We take pride in being the local Williamstown health and wellness centre to Altona, Altona North, Yarraville, Spotswood, Newport, Seddon, West Footscray and Hobsons Bay. We offer Osteopathy, Physio, Shockwave Therapy, Pilates, Remedial Massage and Myotherapy. Call or Book Online